It’s hard to follow your mind games
And swallow your cold words
But I bite my tongue for both our sakes
And smile in return
I don’t do it because I have too
I don’t do it to be polite
I do it because I care about you
No matter how odd it may sound

But it is exhausting what I do
Even if you don’t see it
It’s not hypocrisy what I do
Because it’s not that I fear it
I don’t do it to be sweet
I don’t do it to be gentle
I do it because I care about you
And I want to protect you

It’s hard to keep it all inside
To try not to hurt you
It’s hard not to say
What you said
It’s hard to try and break this cycle
That never ends.
I don’t do it to be heroic
I don’t do it to be inspirational
I do it because I care about you
And that’s what they all questioned

But it’s exhausting what I do
To bottle up what could be hurtful
I never stopped being honest
But that, again, you questioned
And then the day comes
You want my opinion
Just as crude as it comes
Prove that we are truly friends
and don’t hold back…
So the ticking bomb ticks and tocks
Without going off but it doesn’t matter now
Because you start a fight
And then you blame me and accuse me
For giving you what you asked
It’s so hard to please you
When you don’t know what you want

It’s so exhausting that no matter
how much you put up with
you’re still the bad guy
But don’t worry because once again
At the end of it all
I bite my tongue for both our sakes
And put a smile on my face.

Because at the end I know
That it doesn’t matter how hard
or exhausting it may be
I don’t do it to avoid the fight
I don’t do it to win you back
I do it because I care about you
And that I do not question.

Jessica Guzman
A Bit Of Me



Visit these other unique locations:


Coffee Table Poetry for Tea Drinkers
Cool iPhone Apps Free To $5 Caps


Coffee Table Poetry's GUEST BOOK is a division of Coffee Table Poetry for Tea Drinkers, and is updated often. The easiest way to enjoy the selections from talented fellow poets is to select E-mail or RSS Reader. Also, come follow us on Twitter. We look forward to sharing your own beautiful poetry with the world.
Bookmark and Share
0 Responses